Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sleepy-head Gray

Well when we last left you, Gray had been sleeping A LOT! Little did I know exactly how much sleep he would do. In hindsight, it all adds up: Heel prick, jaundice, heavier feedings from the formula, a warm bath, night time lavender lotion. Mommy was really getting worried because he was sleeping through feedings even after our attempts to wake him. We would strip him naked and use a wet cloth all over him, and he was still asleep. Eventually around 11 pm, he was awake and stayed awake. He gobbled down a few more ounces of formula, and was wide-eyed but content. Because of this 24 hour period of formula, I insisted that Heather lay down in our bed and get some good quality sleep, and I would stay awake to change him and feed him in the living room. Around 4:15 am Grandma Sharon relieved me, and after Mommy checked him out, we both went to bed.

This process did wonders for me and my "daddy radar." The first night I felt the need to check on him after every peep he made. Because we were suppose to wake him for feedings every two and a half hours for the day due to his slight jaundice state, I stayed awake to watch the clock and give him a bottle. Doing this, I was able to see what sounds meant something and which ones meant nothing. We are still waiting on word of the newest set of blood work to see if we can go back to breast milk today. Keep your fingers crossed.

On our way home from the hospital today, Heather needed to stop by her office to get a few things, so we got to show him off to her co-workers. They all seemed to love him. Coach Landers said we had dressed him in a clown shirt, (It was a simple red and blue striped shirt.) so he called him "Bozo." He thought he was funny. We've now made it back home, and Graylon is sleeping easy in his bouncy chair.

I'll let you all know the jaundice situation in my next post. Everyone say a little prayer that it all goes well. We are looking forward to that first day that we don't have to go anywhere during the day. I think we could all use an entire day around the house. Until the next post, please enjoy the video I put together of yesterday's first bath at home. Talk to you all soon.

1 comment:

Grandma Sharon said...

Grandma had a great time bathing you and instructing your new mommy and daddy of how to get you clean.