Friday, August 21, 2009

5 Month Letter to Graylon

Gray,

Happy five month birthday. When we brought you home from the hospital, your five month birthday was the furthest thing from our mind. At that time, I had realized being the daddy of a baby. At this time, I realize I am the daddy of a little boy. You have grown up so much, and I am floored when I look at pictures over the past months. I keep saying that I can't wait for you to do this or that, and I've known all along not to say those things because I'll never get THIS time back. I now know I don't have to wish those things because at this rate, they'll be here before I know it.

Gray, you have taught me so much in the 153 days you've been on this planet. You've taught me how to nap in a still position. I always was a tosser and a turner. I've learned that when I got you on my chest and asleep, if I want to keep you that way, I better stay still. And believe me, when you're napping with me, I want to keep it that way. You've taught me how to enjoy the simple things. I had a time passing my insurance certification test. I was frustrated and disappointed several times. All I had to do, was pick you up with your smiling face and I could forget all about that insurance license. I consider myself a laid back kind of guy, but you have helped me "keep it real." You've taught me to keep my cool in a messy situation. Sure, I played a couple years of college ball. Sure, I have had a couple of stressful, high paced jobs. And sure, I lived with Brent Bagby. But, until you pooped all over my shirt or until you pooped on a living room pillow I never knew how I would react to pure chaos. In those situations, terror initially registered with me, but my shaky hands calmed, and I cleaned you up.

I've learned from you and you're just five months old. I'm supposed to be the teacher, and we'll have to get you talking before you can tell me what I've taught you. I look forward to teaching you everything I know. I'm gonna coach you up. I'm gonna give you every piece of advice that could in any way advance you in this world. In the meantime, I'll stick to play time, bottle feeding, diaper changes, and bath time. I'll help you to laugh, talk, crawl, and then walk.

Happy 5 month birthday, Gray. I love you.

Love,
Daddy

2 comments:

Grandma Sharon said...

Mike....your sincere and grateful heart brings tears to my eyes. I am very thankful my grandson has such a good daddy and role model.

Mom said...

Mike - I never imagined I would ever be more proud of you than I have already been - until I read this letter to Graylon. He sure is a lucky little boy.