Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Birthday Graylon

It's been three months since Heather felt Graylon coming, and we rushed to the hospital. It's been three months since I met my son. It's been three months since I first learned the proper way to change a diaper. It's been a great three months. I've learned so much. I feel like the luckiest dad on the planet. Well as promised I've written a letter to Graylon for his birthday. It's listed below. We've had several visitors since the last post, and I'll bring everyone up to speed with the next post, but this birthday post takes precedent.



Dear Graylon,

Happy 3 month birthday! You have grown like a weed on Miracle Grow. The growth has not just come in the weight and length department. You've absorbed so much information, and have developed one heck of a personality. You seem to eat more, sleep more, and poop more with each passing day. I've not been more than 100 feet from you for your entire life with just a very few handfuls of exceptions. And although you do look like both your mom and me, every time I hold you or talk to you face to face, I see myself. And I already wish children for you because it's such a thrill to hold a little version of yourself. I can't wait to teach you everything I wish I had known or the things I was so glad I had been taught. You'll have several teachers and coaches in your life, but none of them will be the end-all be-all teacher or coach like I will. I'll be able to verify or disprove anything that you've been taught, and for that, I am thankful. In the meantime, let me go ahead and coach you up for your fourth month and beyond.

**Although you aren't using words, keep up your excellent communication skills. You use such wonderful inflection, and in life and on a team, good communication yields great results. Say what you mean, and the only bad question is the one you don't ask. Keep up the good work there.

**You are so strong! I am so proud of the little muscle man that Mommy and I created. Keep eating your bottles and then all your baby food. Get a good night's rest, and take care of yourself.

**Follow your heart. We all have the pit of our stomach voice that tells us right from wrong. In sports, be prepared to make good decisions quickly, and in life trust that gut and stand your ground. You'll always have support from me.

You'll have to deal with these "pearls" your whole life, Gray. I'm a coach at heart, and you are my greatest project. I want the world for you, and I'll do my best to give you every avenue I can to have it. I love you Gray. Happy 3 month birthday again. I'll sneak you some cake when Mommy isn't looking.

Love,
Daddy

2 comments:

Grandma Sharon said...

What a wonderful coach you are Daddy! I have no doubt he will listen and learn from you....as well as his mommy and many others. I know he will be a sponge and soak it all up. Happy Birthday little Graylon! Love, Grandma Sharon

Mom said...

Way to go Mike - makin' your mother cry... Great letter hon, all that I could ever hope to hear my son say to his own. Happy Birthday to Graylon and Happy Father's Day to the dad of one lucky little boy. Always remember how much you are loved - Mom